Friday, October 2, 2009

Adventures in preserves

I remember going to my grandma's home in Georgia and finding her baking, cooking or making preserves. I love her pear preserves.
When you would walk into her home you would enter threw the laundry/mud/pantry. Along 1 entire wall grandpa had put shelves and lining those shelves were canned foods or preserves of all types.
It has been a while since I have had them and never have I tried to make them.

I went for a walk with a couple girlfriends Tuesday and 1 came bearing gifts (bags of freshly picked pears from her MIL's).

I was on a mission, a mission to make preserves.

Step 1: peel pears.
Step 2: slice & dice.
Step 3: add 1 Tbsp lemon juice.
Step 4: 1c water




Simmer for 10 minutes. Add pectin and let boil for 1 minute. Add 5c white sugar. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat and add 1/2c brown sugar. 2tsp nutmeg & 2tsp allspice.



Here is the finished project. I haven't tried them yet - too hot.
*I do not have a dishwasher which would have been easy to sterilize the jars. I had to wash and then boil for 10 minutes ... I set them in the oven at 180 degrees to keep the jars nice and warm for the warm preserves.
* something tells me that these are not on the banders diet.
OK - so my brother tells me I should have left out the spices to be like grandma's - now he tells me after I have made them. lol

***I tried these over a warm biscuit, all I can say is YUM-O!

No comments: