Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Grandma's preserves TAKE 2

My girlfriend brought me another bag of pears Saturday.

My mom called my grandma and got her recipe (boy, was the 1st recipe waaaaaay off!)

*pear preserves: pears,sugar, juice of 1/2 a lemon, 1/2 cup of water. pour 2 1/2 lbs. of sugar on top of pears, add water and juice. Let sit at room temp. for 2-3 hrs. turn heat on after and slow cook till golden brown and pears are cooked to your desire . Meantime, boil jars and lids . (They must go thru this process. Why you ask? Been that way since the beginning of time). When pears are done spoon them into jars, You may need to thicken juice with more sugar, but be careful not to add to much. The juice should look like syrup.STIR FREQUENTLY OR IT WILL BURN*

Ok, so I tweaked this a little (I am not a sugar person - I didn't really measure, but I think I put about 2c sugar and about 1c brown sugar, a dash of salt and 1 lemon).

The bag of pears I got only made 4.5 jars of preserves.

No comments: