Tuesday, August 11, 2009

6 week checkup & 1st fill




So, as usual - I was nervous to go to the Doctor today.

My first appointment was with the physical trainer - she gave me quite a few exercises to do, plus an exercise ball and bands. I have to work out 5 days a week for 1 hour each (I think this is going to be the hardest part of it - I wont have anyone standing behind me making sure that I do this...like a Drill Sergeant - still thinking about joining a gym, just for that!)

Now to see my Doctor.

*My food intake has gone up to 1 1/2c of food per meal (3 meals).

As a fat person you are always afraid of the scale going UP, it is odd to see it continually going DOWN.

*As I said in another post - the average weight loss after the band is 1-3 LBS per week-
I am Down 5 more LBS for a total of 29LBS (I would say 30, but they round up). I haven't been this 'small' in 4 years!

The nurse comes in and checks my blood pressure, she says 'it's a little high', my response 'I'm about to have a needle stuck in my gut'. She then checks my heart and she says 'your heart rate is a little high, too', I replied 'I'm about to have a needle stuck in my gut'. (I was the only one laughing)

So, my usual nurse comes in and she is always pleasant to talk to. She starts preparing the things needed for my fill, my 1st fill. She gets a syringe and starts to fill it with the saline...I look over and see the fat needle; I tell her, 'you really shouldn't do that in front of me', she apologizes and continues with a smile on her face. (sadistic, I think). She does say 'wait til you see the other one (needle)'.

My doctor comes in and does the usual Q&A and then we get to the fill. I lay down, pick my legs up into the air (easiest way to find the port) and easier for the Much Larger needle to go in. The needle did not hurt (I was a little surprised, no pain). As he moves the needle *Now sticking out of my gut*, I can fill it - it isn't painful, but feels more like butterflies than anything else. I twinge at the movement only because I am not used to that sensation. He fills the band with 4cc's of saline, I sit up to drink water (make sure the water goes down and not back up - it went right thru, he added another 1cc of saline). He was about to add more, when I told him the feeling, 'it feels like a funnel being full and then gradually draining' - That was it. He pulled the needle out of my gut and for the first time I see how Freaking Long that thing is! D-U-D-E! (about 5-6 inches long)

I am back on a liquid diet for 2 days, pureed the 3rd and more solid after that. I can feel the band more so now that I could the past 6 weeks.

I go back in 6 weeks.
*image above is not mine.

2 comments:

jena said...

Serious willies... needles that long do not need to exist.

AmyC ~ said...

it's just a good thing I saw it After. lol