Thursday, August 26, 2010

Fall is in the air

...and with Fall comes beautiful colors, wonderful scents and HALLOWEEN!

I just LOVE Halloween, to me, it's the one time of the year to not be yourself...to step out of reality.

Last night it popped into my head to create shrunken heads. I have made them before about 10+ years ago, ma helped me. At that time though, we made mini pinatas (using water balloons, flour glue and newspaper - painted after dry) this time however, I used polymer clay (I love this stuff...you have an idea and in just a few moments you can have it right there, for everyone to see and enjoy).

To start, you need foil (foil is the base of most polymer projects...less time to cook; if the entire thing was made from clay it would take f-o-r-e-v-e-r to cook).




Take the foil and smush it into a shape (depending on what you are going for), here I went with an egg-ish shape w/ spots for the eyes.



*Oh man did I luck up Sunday. All this clay and then some came from FreeCycle - at the time when I grabbed the clay I didn't know what I was going to make with it.



I've never used colored Premo before...so I am not sure if the clay was just old or if it's always hard. I also don't do clay crafts enough to warrant a pasta machine nor all the cool little tools and gadgets that go along with polymer.



Here they all are in the middle of being cooked. I had to mix to make colors and then went from there. They are not realistic looking by any means.



(please do not judge the art station these are cooling on...it's a mess!)
So here they are, they will eventually adorn a Halloween wreath (I got a few wreaths from that same FreeCycle and moss).

As you can see even Frankenstein can not avoid being shrunk.

2 comments:

Love + Cake said...

Those are so cool! What a great idea :D

PennilessCaucasianRubbish said...

SO Freakin' COOL. Really. You're amazing. I think my favorite part is that you got the supplies from Freecycle. Sweet!

;o)
H